If we say that God can (or should) only speak through the Bible (The Logos or written Word), then we make the huge mistake of limiting God, putting Him in a box. God is greater then our opinions and has no need to keep Himself within the limits of our belief barriers or opinions.
God speaks in many different ways. Among others…
1. God speaks through His Word. (2 Tim. 3:16, Ps. 119:105)
2. God speaks through inner voice. (Acts 8:29)
3. God speaks through other people. (Acts 8:34-36)
4. God speaks through circumstances. (1 Cor. 16:8,9)
5. God speaks through supernatural events. (Num. 22:28-31)
This also includes Angels, dreams, visions, visitations, signs and wonders, all seen all throughout scripture, you are familiar with all of these in the Word.)
6. God speaks through inner peace. (2 Cor. 2:12-13)
So, how do we recognize the voice of God?
We can test what we sense we understand God to speak by asking these simple questions:
1. Is it consistent with Scripture?
2. Is there peace in it?
3. Is there a witness with others? (Can others confirm it?)
4. Does it bring you closer to Jesus?
I have spent significant time learning to journal and it was very hard at first to trust that what I was hearing through that inner voice, if it was really God. Practice made me more confident, reading the Word to know His character made me more confident, running things by my husband for his confirmation made me more confident and by all means these experiences of hearing God brought me and keeps bringing me closer to Jesus.
Hearing God’s voice is one of the most important topics in YWAM also, (Youth With A Mission) taught in every DTS (Discipleship Training School).